My first recipe is an easy one, but so delicious! Taco Soup. I got this recipe from an Elder I knew on my mission. His parents ran a ranch and in the Summer they hired a gazillion Ranch hands to "run" the cattle. This recipe has been cut down by about 10 times, since Elder Hoffman's mom made it for about 25 starving ranch-men.
It has been a staple in our family ever since I got it...with a few changes of course. Our family doesn't like corn in it, but a lot of families do. Try it both ways and see what your family likes!
Recipe by Emilie Ahern
Yield: 6-8 servings
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 lb. ground beef, thawed
2 cans black beans
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 lg. can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn (optional)
1 qt. tomato juice (like V-8)
1. Add oil to a large pot and add onions, cooking until slightly soft.
2. Add ground beef and cook until brown. Add taco seasoning packet. Stir to coat onions and beef.
3. Add remaining ingredients to the pot.
4. Bring to boil. Leave at hard boil for 30 min, uncovered. You can choose to simmer/boil this for much longer. The longer it cooks the more thick and delicious it gets.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Top with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions, and crushed taco chips.
Store leftovers in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
BISHOP'S STOREHOUSE INGREDIENTS: Form Section // Ingredient
Cooking Products // vegetable oil
Meats // 1 lb ground beef
Beans. Rice & Potatoes // 2 cans black beans
Fresh Vegetables // 1 onion
Canned Vegetables // 1 can (28 oz) tomatoes, diced
Drinks // 1 (26 oz) can tomato juice
Dairy and Eggs // cheese
Dairy and Eggs // sour cream
Canned Vegetables // 1 can (14.4 oz) corn in place of frozen corn (optional)
1 packet taco seasoning - under $1
taco chips, crushed - around $2 (optional)
green onions - $1 (optional)