What You'll Need: scriptures, picture of Christ, downloaded Rever-ant story, scissors/paper trimmer, download printed onto cardstock, hole punch, yarn or binder ring, coloring tools (optional)Scripture: Vaughn J Featherstone - One of the most Christ-like qualities we ought to develop is reverence, an attitude that shows how we feel about Heavenly Father and the things He has asked us to do.
Opening Song: Reverence Is Love (PCS #31)
- Where do we go on Sundays? (to church)
- Why do we go to church? (to learn about Jesus, to worship Heavenly Father, to partake of the sacrament, etc.)
- What do we wear when we go to church? (nice clothes)
- Why do we wear such nice clothing? (because church is a special place so we wear our best clothes.
Church is very special. So special that we attend only church on Sundays and dress in special clothes. We should also act in a special way when we attend church. This is called being reverent.
(Listen to the song "Reverence is Love" 2 or 3 times. You can listen to it from your computer or tablet by clicking here or from the LDS Music App. Have children sing along if they can.)
Display a picture of Jesus Christ
Read the family the lyrics to the song Reverence is Love
Reverence is more than just quietly sitting:
It's thinking of Father above,
A feeling I get when I think of his blessings.
I'm reverent, for reverence is love.
When I'm reverent, it shows in my words and my deeds.
The pathway to follow is clear.
And when I am reverent, I know in my heart
Heavenly Father and Jesus are near.
- What do you think it means to be reverent?
- Does being reverent only mean sitting quietly?
Explain that being reverent means doing things that show our love and respect for Heavenly Father and Jesus. We can show our love for them in the following ways (let the children demonstrate some of these as you talk about them):
- Walking quietly and talking softly.
- Sitting quietly and listening to prayers and lessons.
- Raising our hands when we want to say something.
- Folding our arms.
- Keeping the meetinghouse clean.
- Thinking about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
Explain that when we do these things, Heavenly Father and Jesus know that we love them and that we are happy to be at church.
Download the following story with pictures to help children understand the blessings of being reverent.
Bear your testimony about the blessings of being reverent. How reverence leads to feeling the Spirit and emphasize your children's ability to make the decision to enjoy church by being reverent.
Like this post? Check out these related articles!
- Gospel ABC's Printable Quiet Book
- Family Home Evening // The Sacrament
- Family Home Evening // Church Attendance
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
This post may contain affiliate links for products and services I love and whole-heartedly believe in. Thanks so much for your support! See the full disclosure.