What You'll Need: scriptures, bag, apple, vegetable, flower pots for each family member, seed packets, soil and a watering can.Scripture: Abraham 5:9 - And out of the ground made the Gods to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food.
Opening Song: Popcorn Popping (PCS #242 )
(Attention Activity) Pass around a bag with a fruit, a vegetable, or branch in it, closed so the children cannot see what is inside. Have the children feel the bag and guess what is in it. Tell them not to guess out loud until everyone has had a chance to feel the bag. When everyone has felt the bag, let the children tell you what they think is in the bag. Take the item out of the bag, and talk about its appearance and usefulness.
Everything on the earth was created according to Heavenly Father’s plan. On the third day of creation, Jesus created trees, plants, and flowers (see Genesis 1:11–13). Heavenly Father and Jesus wanted to make the earth beautiful with trees, plants, and flowers.
• How do we use flowers to make our world beautiful? (We plant them in flower gardens, make bouquets, and wear them in our hair or on our clothes.)
• Why do we give someone flowers? (For special occasions and to make people happy.)
Not only are plants beautiful, but they are also very useful. Trees do many things for us. First the birds use the tree for their home. They carefully build a nest, and the mother bird lays eggs in it. When the baby birds hatch from the eggs, the tree provides a good home for them. It protects them from the hot sun, from the rain, and from animals on the ground that would harm them. The tree also provides fruit for the family that lives nearby. The children play in the shade of the tree and attach a swing to a large branch. When part of the tree dies, the family cuts it down and uses it for firewood to keep the house warm.
• Why are trees important to us? (They provide food, wood, shade, and a place to play.)
Heavenly Father wants us to take care of our earth because He made it just for us. He made it beautiful and useful. We can show Heavenly Father we are thankful for the earth by taking care of it, planting seeds and trees, never littering, leaving other's plants in their place and watering plants.
Bear your testimony about how beautiful the earth is and how grateful you are for plants, flowers, trees, fruits and vegetables.
(For tips on sharing your testimony please click here.)
Activity: Choose from the following activities as they best suit your family...
- Get a small pot for each family member and fill with soil.
- Let each child decorate their pot with permanent markers.
- Help each child plant seeds and teach them about moderate watering and being gentle.
Tip: Our family did this last year and purchased a variety of seed packets. By far the most quickly sprouting and hearty plant was the herb Basil. It sprouted within a week. However, our kids planted flowers and they came up within two weeks and flowered. If your kids are impatient...go with the basil. My daughters also loved cooking with Daddy's basil later in the Summer.
2. I Will Take Care of the Earth Activity Page
3. Scripture Garden Activity, from The Friend Magazine (for older kids)
Like this post? Check out these related articles!
- FAMILY HOME EVENING // Being Kind to Animals
- FAMILY HOME EVENING // The Creation
- FAMILY HOME EVENING // The Earth's Seasons
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
This post may contain affiliate links for products and services I love and whole-heartedly believe in. Thanks so much for your support! See the full disclosure.